Best Music Festival
1. Steven Wyman (Boulder Creek Brewery and Surfrider Cafe) and Michael Horne (Pulse Productions and Palookaville) are co-producers.
2. SOL debuted in 2014—the 2022 festival is set for September 17-18.
3. Michael Horne’s favorite Mountain SOL set featured Sheila E. (pictured below) and George Clinton performing together in 2016.
4. The festival has over 75 volunteers and paid staff.
5. “Roaring Camp is such a sweet venue, and to use it as a home base is magical,” says Horne. DNA
Best Theater Company
1. Jewel Theatre’s first production was in 2005. It was Love Match, six one-act plays that followed the ups and downs of relationships. The set was a boxing ring.
2. In 2009, Artistic Director Julie James took over the Actors Theatre. In 2015, she moved the company to the Colligan Theatre at the Tannery.
3. The play, Heisenberg: The Uncertainty Principle, was ready to launch before the Covid quarantine—it was the first local production to hit the stage after things opened up again.
4. James thinks of theatre and the arts as “second responders” in a crisis like the pandemic, because they help people heal.